That’s right – you can put beet into your arepa dough for an extra nutritious meal. Beet is also a natural food colorant so your kids will think it’s a cool dish! Have it for breakfast 🙂
- 2 cups flour (Harina P.A.N.)
- 2½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 large beet
- salt to taste
- oil of your choice to grease the cooking pan
- 1 diced avocado
- 1/2 diced purple onion
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- salt, to taste
- In boiling water, cook the beet until it is completely soft. Peel, smash until you get a puree.
- In a bowl, mix the beet puree, the arepa flour, lukewarm water and salt with a wooden spoon until you can no longer keep mixing, then use your hands to knead until the dough no longer sticks.
- Rest for ten minutes.
- Grease a hot pan with a paper towel. Make even balls out of the dough. Flatten into an arepa shape. Cook for 6 minutes on each side.
- Mix all ingredients together and use as filling.
Optional: Place the arepas in the oven set at 350F to keep them warm.